Saturday, 4 April 2009

CHSSB - Our SYF 2009

Hey guys!

Before I start to write anything, I would firstly like to APOLOGISE for the outdated-ness (if there is such a word) of the band web. TO all the "fans" of CHSSB and its web page out there, I AM SO SORRY! (My excuse: Was really busy with SYF and the numerous tests from my teachers) Please forgive me! T_T


You would probably have read all the inspiring posts from Quintus, Louis, Luke etc etc etc. (No Jun Yao?)


Blah Blah Blah. Ok, we have reached what we have desired for since god-knows-when. We have got our GWH. We have got back our pride, our honour, our past glory.But, So what? Like what some of the posts said:" We must keep up with our reputation."


Saw what some of you all wrote on the tagboard: So many bands got GWH, 8 gwh in 4 days,so maybe ours "worthless and useless".


Basically, after all the shouting and screaming and cheering (and hollering at CO and Choir), I had that same thought. If so many bands got GWH, what makes our GWH then?


Then almost immediately, the answer dawned on me.


Let me use an example (specifically Zhen Xi's one):

Let's imagine, in the whole cohort of Secondary 4s (or 3s or 2s or 1s), everyone got at least 85 marks and above for Physics. If I have that initial mentality, I would be thinking :" What the H**L? Everyone got almost the same mark as me? Sian diao la..then like that I might as well get Zero!"
But, for me (only), I would be thinking :" YES YES YES YES YES YES YES! Finally I score in Physics! After so much hard work and mugging...I improved by SO MUCH!"

Yes seriously. I am not being hypocritical. (FYI, my physics is very lousy)

It's the same for our band. From a silver to a GWH is a quantum leap.

Furthermore, to me...
GWH is just GWH.
It's just a certificate.
It's just an award.
It's just 7-8 CCA points (or whatever).
It's just a name.
It may give you (or us for that matter) a momentarily outburst of pride and spontaneous joy, but it is short-lived. Don't you agree? After 20 years, you will worrying about something else instead of remembering what was the date of the SYF year in which we got back GWH.
What comes after SYF and GWH is the cold, hard, cruel reality. Who in the world cares abotu your SYF? Get your A1s, sustain your standards, continue to improve etc etc etc.

But maybe I am mistaken. Maybe the award really is worthless after so many bands got it. Maybe I am wrong. Really, it all depends on what your definition of that award is.

MY definition (after much thoughts) is :GWH is the journey.

I admit that SYF 2009 left me great memories. SO great, I will never ever forget them. And you know what's great about them?
It's not the award.
It's not the my not-screwing-anything part.
It's not "getting back our glory" part.

It's the journey. The numerous practices. The tiring and arduous hours. The hard work we put in to impress and to not disppoint. The nerves that everyone gets right before our performance. The brilliance of our performance. The friendship and bonds between band mates that were strengthened. And the relief that finally, it's all over.
That was what MY GWH is all about. They always say that it is the journey that counts, not the result. I always remained skeptical of that statement, up until now.

So do I think that our award is useless after so many band got the same award?
No.
A blatant no.

Why? Simple.
Because I think our band is unique, not in a way that it is better than others.
But, in a way that, CHSSB has experienced and achieved so many things, before and after SYF, that NO bands anywhere could ever have possibly done so!

I know that this is a very bias statement, and I am sure that not everyone agrees with me. But I don't care. And I know I can't brainwash all of you with this as well.
Because this is my definition of SYF, and of GWH. This is my interpretation of what CHSSB has achieved in April 2009.

I don;t care what pther people got. Because I will never ever (ever x100) forget what I had been through with all my brothers, and what we had experienced and achieved together on-stage and off-stage.

"Unforgettable" is truly the word.

No comments: