Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Hey band.
This is your estate manager speaking.
Due to time constrain, I frankly doubt I would be able to get my point through in band practice.
Therefore, I will now tell you guys what I want you guys to know. (ie., say my piece.)

1. Do NOT put whatever you like all over the band room.
I believe most of you have noticed that there was a notice placed on the door of the band room not too long ago.
The BAND ROOM is a SACRED PLACE, it said.
I know that some of you see the band room as a second home.
But it's not an excuse to treat the room like your own house!
People who came down to practice last friday would have seen it.

Water bottle on the green shelf. (you people should know which green shelf I'm referring to.)
Hanger on the floor.
etc, etc.

PLEASE, if it's your stuff on the green shelf, take it back!
That should be all for part 1. Now on to part 2.

2. Instruments on the shelves.
Look, I don't think anybody would mind if you placed your beloved instrument there TEMPORARILY (ie. 5 minutes?) because you're afraid you'd damage it in any way. Remove it as soon as possible after that.

BUT.

When you people are told to keep your instruments, or when you're done with your personal practice, please do not place it in the band room. It should be kept in the band store, or to be more specific, your instrument's case. Do not put your instrument there, forget about it and go home.

As for instruments that can't fit in their cases, kindly put them in the band store, your section's shelf, where it wouldn't be too obvious to cause any hindrance. Thank you.

Now on to part 3.

3. The cleanliness of the band room.

This is the part where I'm most annoyed.
I think you guys know this already.
We all need a conducive environment for band practice.
The cleanliness of the band room, naturally, plays an orchestral role in this.
What I don't like is that you guys don't seem to take this seriously.
In fact, it might be to the point that people call it disrespect.
Now, listen up. I'm tired of saying this again and again, and I don't want to say it again.
When you guys are done keeping your instruments, you're supposed to sit quietly, in your distinct and neat rows, playing your part in keeping the band room clean (ie. picking up the white and red stuff on the carpet). Well, you guys are supposed to be bending over and picking up those tiny little eyesores until someone comes along to address you people. Then you straighten up and listen.

Instead, what do you guys do?

I see the majority of you ignoring little bits of stuff in the carpet, TALKING, SITTING AROUND DOING NOTHING, PLAYING.

I think I need to get this straight.

I am not here to clean up the band room for you.
Rather, what I do is to direct you guys in making the band room a cleaner, nicer, and a pleasant place to practice in.

As such, I would not tolerate that wrong idea. In fact, it might become what I see as utter disrespect if you even have the guts to tell me that.



I hope you guys will understand.



=>Your friendly neighborhood estate manager

No comments: