Sunday, 23 November 2008

Band Camp '08 -- My Reflections

Hi Guys! It has been so long since I have posted. Hope everyone has enjoyed the Band Camp, because I know I sure did!

I am actually here to share with everyone my reflections for the camp. Though it was fun, tiring, and mind-boggling considering that it was somewhat hard to handle my Group (specifically Xian Zhe =P), there are so many learning points for me. So, I am here to share them with you, not as Media Head, not as French Horn section leader, not as a member of the leading batch of Secondary Three, but as a regular, normal Band member.

First of all, I like to clear some misunderstandings on an issue. The Band camp was not meant to be a vacation or a holiday. It never, ever was, and would never, ever be. We all are lucky to have Andrew Lai as our Welfare Head and Avan as our Enterprise Head, and our Council Members + Qin En to order good lunch and dinner, good facilities and classrooms, and fun games.

Believe me, Band camp was a hundred times more torturous when I was a Secondary Two.

So, we should never, ever complain. I know many did complain about the breakfast and all, but wasn't it good enough? I personally felt that the Kaya was great! NEVER TAKE THINGS FOR GRANTED. Why should we complain? If we did, does it mean that we are pampered?

I think it does. And Band doesn't really need pampered members, does it?

Second thing, another important thing I learnt is that RESPECT AND TRUST IS EVER SO IMPORTANT in Band. To trust is believing in your team members that they can do it. To respect is to listen to others and work together as a team. I have attended SO MANY camps in my 15 years of life, and whenever there is a camp reflection, I would put down on the booklet :"I learnt that teamwork is very important" "I learnt that coordination is very important" "I feel that togetherness in our team is why we won"

Frankly, everyone, even me, gets tired of "Teamwork is very important" reflection. Without Respect, without trust, can there be teamwork? If we think long and hard, we would realise that the world works not because of money, fame or fortune, but because of trust, respect and love. Only then, do we have teamwork, friendships, and relationships. Have we respected and put in trust in our peers during the camp?

At some periods of time, I haven't. Honestly speaking, I don't think anyone has for the entire camp.

And then, I learnt that we should never belittle other people, or should we ever taunt other people just because they have lost to us. And I believe that many, if not all, are guilty of this, including me. Stop the sarcasm and insults.

Aren't we all not the gentlemen and bilingual scholars of Catholic High?

Every camp that you have attended aims to mould you into another person, one that is tougher, more robust, and more passionate. I have many, many other learning points, but I don't think I have the ability to squeeze everything in here.

So, I will summarise all my learning points: COMMON SENSE. Yes indeed, I learnt that whatever we do, be it in Band Camp or during practice, the first thing we need to have is common sense.

It is common sense that teaches us to put our trust into our friends and care for them when they fall. It is common sense that tells us to endure all the tribulations we have encountered and lift our heads high to show others how proud we are as a musician. And it is common sense (conscience) and that nags at us in the ear that we should never put down our friends.

So, these are mainly what I have learnt in the camp. You don't really have to remember all that I have said, but you have to remember this: Whatever you are doing now, are you going against your principles? Are you going against against your own conscience?

Are you hurting your own friends? Or are you just a selfish dummy who is doing it for the sake of fun?

Really, 人之初,性本善。Everyone is born to be a good person, and everyone WILL grow up into a better person.

Bottomline, I have learnt that whatever I do, I just have to ask myself this question to make sure that I am doing the right thing: Are you using your common sense?

No comments: