Sunday, 14 December 2008

VJC Concert-- My Reflections.

Hi people!

On Friday, a bunch of CHSSB members and I went to the VJC concert conducted mainly by Mr Leonard Tan, and Mr Zachariah Goh, the to-be-conductor of VJC.

It was fantastic and amazingly refreshing! The pieces were of high standards, and the Band was great. Yeah, "GREAT" is the word. The concert was called "A Not So Silent Night", and true to its name, it wasn't. It was full of laughter, cheers, good music and awe.

For one, the Band, including the Alumni Band, practically "owned the zone". (Pardon me for my lame-ness, as thou can only think of this phrase for the time being)

Second, the emcess were so hyperactive and interactive with the audience. Third, and most probably the highlight of the whole concert (which you may agree with me if you went), was the Skit. It was dumb, stupid and retarded, but at the same time, it practically led the audience to laugh until they have a stomache, and it was romantic as well. Also, there was a certain hidden meaning beneath the Skit.
(YES, there were intimate scenes. Now you will regret for not attending the concert!)

Overall, the concert is what we can say as, "kick-ass".

However, after I went home, the concert reminded me about something, something that seemed to be bothering me over the past few months whenever I attend concerts.

Concert Etiquette.

People whispering. Cell phones ringing. Talking. Turning around in seats. Leaving before the entire performance is finished. Have you ever noticed people around you do that? Or have you ever realised that it was actually YOU, yourself, doing it. And one more incorrigible act of bad concert etiquette: Bad attire.

On Friday night, I saw tons of the audience in Bermudas, sandals, slippers, and and amazingly casual shorts. Please note, I am not here to educate you on all the "rules" on attending concerts.

There ARE NO rules when you attend concerts. There are only what we call "Respect". True enough, I saw familiar faces with sandals, shorts, and Catholic High PE T-shirt and CHSSB polo T-shirt.

It's ok to wear school uniform and Band Polo T-shirt to concerts, its perfectly fine. (In fact, I think I m gonna wear the Band Polo Tee to concerts next time, thanks to the influence of several Secondary Twos.) And it's ok to wear the green pants, BUT have you ever wondered what people would think of our school when we wear the school PE T-shirt AND slippers and sandals at the same time? I saw several CHIJ Toa Payoh students, in fact I was sitting beside a few during the first half of the concert, and they were wearing school uniform with shoes, and come were in jeans.

And it is also a crime to comment on the Band during a piece. I mean, it is ok to say things like "They played it very well" and "we should play like that", but giving bad comments is the rudest thing to do during a concert, for example giving audible comments like "Oh my god, he mispitched!" and "The clarinet squeaked AGAIN!" If you want to comment, do it at home while watching TV.

So, what exactly is the proper attire and etiquette. Well, I did some research, and here is what is expected in the USA:

  1. It is considered proper concert etiquette to clap only after a piece is complete, and not after movements.
  2. For attire, you will see apparel ranging from business casual to after-five dinner wear. Though you won’t see many people in jeans, wear what is comfortable when dressing for the night.
  3. Coughing can be an unavoidable problem, but there are ways to avoid coughing during the music. If you feel a cold coming on, please bring lozenges with you. Please unwrap the cough drop ahead of time.
  4. It is customary not to talk while the music playing. Being sensitive to your neighbors allows everyone to have a more pleasant concert experience.

There were many shouting and screaming, but maybe that is okay because this is a JC concert, not a really formal one. And maybe because of that, its okay to wear VERY casually.

But is that really true? In my opinion, every concert, wherever and whenver is it, it is formal. That's why I would try my best to dress appropriately, unless other circumstances states otherwise, and I will keep my mouth shut unless I find it mandatory to praise the Band. (Which i did several times on Friday Night) What would the VJC performers think when they know some of the audiences dress up in very casual attire just because they think that because this is a JC concert, its not a really formal one. How would they respond in their playing?

How would you feel if your audience come to Aesthetique or other concerts with that same mindset? Few of you maybe be defiant and maybe thinking at this point in time," Who cares?" But trust me, you do. Everyone in CHSSB does when that happens.

I quote this from a website :

When we go to concerts, we may go for many reasons, but the most important reason is to watch and listen to the performers.
The performers are NOT on television. They are alive; they can see and hear the audience; they want to be able to do a great job for you. Good concert etiquette helps the audience have a good experience.
What some people fail to realize is that the audience can also help the performers perform better.With no visual or auditory distractions, performers can concentrate on giving a great performance. They are trying their best to present an enjoyable musical experience for everyone.

SO basically, this is all I have to say. I believe good concert etiquette is important, no matter what it is, behaviour or attire (I know some of us go to concert and start shouting other people's names).

And I believe, comfortable attire and courteous behaviour will give both the performers and the audience an enjoyable experience, wouldn't you agree?

No comments: